ADVENTURE ON YOUR OWN TIME
Adventure On Your Own Time (AOYOT) was born out of the COVID-19 era where gatherings and races were discouraged to reduce the spread of the virus. It turns out, many racers liked the opportunity to do a course in a new area at a time that was convenient for them. Therefore, we are presenting one 8-hour AOYOT course in Gunnison County.
The AOYOT course will be open for 60 days from June 19 to August 17. Racers can register for paper and PDF maps and hit the course when it is convenient for them. To be included in the results, you have to complete the course by August 17. All results will be reported to Adventure Racing Cooperative so that your team is included in the overall US rankings. Once you register for the course, information on how to report your results and safety information will be sent to you along with your maps.
Stay tuned for more information as the race day approaches!
AOYOT course is mapped out in Gunnison, Colorado.
Racers will navigate the unmarked course by hiking/trekking, mountain biking (dirt road/trail), and paddling (white water class III).
Racers must form teams of 1-4 in order to participate.
There is no required gear for this virtual race, but we recommend the gear listed here.
We love our volunteers! If you are interested in volunteering for this race, please fill out the form at the bottom of this page and the race director will be in touch.
We are taking COVID-19 seriously and want to ensure that all our race participants as well as our community, are safe. If necessary we will implement a plan and guidelines in order to keep all involved healthy. More information regarding this will be passed on as race day approaches. For now, please plan to wear a mask when at race headquarters and transition areas, as well as follow social-distancing guidelines. For more information, click here.
Although this race is completed on your own, there are still rules for results to be considered for rankings. RULES
- What type of races are these? These are "on your own" races where you complete it on your own time and submit your photos and route files to Athena Adventures for credit and to be scored.
- How long are these races? They range from 6 hours to 12 hours.
- Is there mandatory gear for these races? No, but there is recommended gear. RECOMMENDED GEAR
- Do I need to have adventure racing experience to complete them? No. As long as you can read a map, you can do the courses.
- Do I need to have a team to participate? No, a solo division is available.
NEED A TEAMMATE?
Are you needing a teammate to compete with in one of our races? Check out the Adventure Race Teammate Finder Facebook page for other racers looking for partners!